Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Let's get superficial!

Almost every morning (except when it's raining) I take a walk in my neighborhood. I have a route that's about 1-1/2 miles and it's a refreshing start to my day, as well as being my main source of exercise. Often, I don't encounter anyone else, but when I do it's usually the same people.

This morning, however, as I neared the mid-point of my walk, I saw a woman walking toward me whom I did not recall seeing before. I was walking on the right side of the street, as is my habit (it is a residential area, with little or no traffic), and she was on the same side. As she approached me, she said, "Are you a Democrat?"

"Yes," I replied.
"I thought so."
"Why?" I asked, as I mentally examined my appearance - no Obama shirt, nothing that would indicate my politics.

"Well," she said, "you're walking on the WRONG side of the street!"
"Hmmm."
"I want to see the car that hits me," she stated.
"Well," says I, "I don't expect to get hit!"

(What I wish I'd said: "How did you miss the freight train that is George W. Bush?" But I didn't think of it.)

So I have been judged and dismissed as undesirable by a woman who doesn't know me, just because I walked on the right ("wrong") side of the street. These are the type of people who are voting for John McCain.

It should make you think.

5 comments:

  1. omg. This is hilarious (with a twinge of scary)! I can't believe that happened!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to stereotype people, BUT it seems like more and more Republicans are getting nastier this election. I find it disturbing that a group of people who claim to be MORE christianly than anyone else can be so mean to other people. Maybe they're scared that they're losing control of the country, maybe they're just insecure with themselves. I think that it's sad.

    Watch where you walk next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot even imagine someone being so rude, or stupid. Wow!

    I agree with June, it has really seemed to me, that especially lately, some Republicans are just being mean. I also think desperation has something to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an opening line from someone you don't know! I have always thought Democrats are more open minded and tolerant than Republicans.

    Someone in my former town or residence has a bumper sticker in his van window that reads "Right is Right and Left is Wrong." The Republicans seem so black and white with no gray in the political philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to be the dissenting voice among your comments, but I know that painting conservatives with that broad of a brush is just as wrong as painting liberals in a similar fashion. Yes, the incident was ridiculous and rude, but those kinds of people are not the only ones voting for McCain.

    ReplyDelete