Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Then and Now

One day
We were making plans to go to the Coast
To go clamming with friends.

One day
We were making plans to go to Yosemite,
So you could see El Capitan.

One day
We were making plans for another trip
To far away places.

One day
We were making plans to paint the house,
And tile the floors
And maybe find a new home to love as we do this one.

One day
You had a stroke.

Today
I'm learning how to test your blood glucose
And give insulin shots.

Today
I'm learning how to cook the foods you like
In a way that is healthier.

Today
I cut up tiny pills and put them in tiny boxes
And smile when I bring them to you four times a day
And call them "appetizers."

Today
I'm learning, still learning, still learning
Not to respond in anger when you take out your frustrations
On me.

Tonight
Each night
I wake three or four or five or six times
To touch you, to test your blood,
To watch you breathe
To give thanks
That you are beside me.

Tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment